Saturday, July 17, 2010

Zumba kicked my ass- and I liked it!

I have a new addiction- it kicks you in the bum, punches you in the belly and slaps your thigh- all while you grin from ear to ear. Am I a masochist? No- just high on Zumba!

Zumba is an intense dance-based cardio workout, which originated in Columbia about twenty years ago. The moves are choreographed to Latin themed music to create a fun, high-energy atmosphere. Despite being around for a while, Zumba is only now gaining a following in Australia.

After one lesson, I am totally hooked! I want to Zumba everyday. It's the hardest but most happiness-making workout I've ever tried. I was a tad over-enthusiastic in the first twenty minutes and thought I was going to have to sneak out to avoid a humiliating fainting spell in the middle of all the shimmying mamacitas, but soon after I had an unexpected burst of energy and pulled through to enjoy the second half.

Maybe it has something to do with Nico- the cheeky Brazilian instructor, but mainly I think my new addiction is due to Zumba's feel good factor. You bounce, shout, gyrate, shimmy, stomp, laugh and leave feeling good about yourself The endorphin high lasts a good eight hours- believe me!

If you're not sold on Zumba yet, check it out on YouTube, or just go to a class.

No comments:

Post a Comment